Who needs to apply?
You may need to seek approval under the Noise Regulations if:
- You are flying for a commercial purpose and/or you have been issued a remotely piloted aircraft operator's certificate (ReOC) (visit CASA's website).
You do not need to seek an approval under the Noise Regulations if:
- You are flying for fun or recreation
- You are flying for a commercial purpose in the 'Excluded RPA' category (please see CASA's Plain English Guide for Micro and Excluded RPA operations for more information)
- You only fly drones that weigh 250 grams or less
- You only fly drones under the standard operating conditions (visit CASA's website)
- You only fly drones for one or more of the following purposes:
- Agricultural operations
- Environmental operations
- Fire-fighting, medical, emergency or policing purposes
If you are unsure whether you require approval, we recommend you complete the form below.
How to apply?
Applications for an approval under the Noise Regulations can be made using the form below. Based on your answers, you may be exempted from requiring an approval, granted an automated approval, or required to provide a full application to the department.
If your operations are considered to pose a high risk of causing significant noise impacts, the department will contact you to obtain more detailed information about your intended drone operations and may place conditions on your drone operations to mitigate noise impacts.